About DS-5 Licenses
A license is a text file containing information about the license type, the license duration, and the features enabled by the license. The following types of license are offered for ARM® DS-5 Development Studio:
- Node-locked licenses
- Floating licenses
A node-locked license locks the tools to a particular computer, or more accurately to a particular host ID. A node-locked license is a good choice for an installation that will be used by one user on a single computer.
The license is tied to a particular host ID. The host ID used cannot be changed without a replacement license being supplied by ARM.
A floating license scheme is more flexible than a node-locked license. It is typically used if there are more potential users than purchased licenses.
A floating license-managed installation of DS-5 consists of both the server and client computers:
- The server is the computer that has the license and floating license server utilities installed on it. The floating license server controls the number of copies of the licensed product component in use at any one time, up to the maximum number of licenses purchased.
- Client computers have the DS-5 software installed on them. There can be more clients than purchased licenses. If all of the license seats are in use, no additional users can use DS-5 until one of the current users stops using the product.
DS-5 node-locked and floating licenses can be purchased with different length terms. All new licenses include one year of support and maintenance, entitling you to technical support, updates, and upgrade patches. Node-locked licenses are also entitled to one free-of-charge re-host per 12 month period if covered under valid support and maintenance. If support and maintenance expires (permanent licenses only), the product continues to work but new updates or patches cannot be activated.
ARM License Manager
The ARM License Manager is used for requesting or installing licenses to use DS-5. To display the ARM License Manager dialog box, start Eclipse for DS-5, then select Help > ARM License Manager. You can use the License Manager to:
- Reach the ARM web licensing portal.
- Install node-locked licenses.
- Configure a client to use floating licenses.
For more information on DS-5 licenses and how to install these, please refer to the DS-5 License Management Guide.